There’s nothing I hate more than wasting food so I always try to come up with some way to use the last bits of something before it goes bad. Bananas are the worst for me for this- I only really like them when they’re a bit green, so the second they start to brown I won’t eat them on their own. Needless to say when I saw my two latest bananas begin to turn, I started to look for recipes to use them in.
I usually make overnight oats when my bananas start to go brown, but since I’m travelling this week I knew I wouldn’t be able to eat it in time. So what then?
Ligtbulb- banana bread! Why not whip together a healthier version of this delicious treat? Well success! This recipe came out beautifully, was incredibly easy (which is good for me as a non baker) and was a huge hit with the fam
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2-3 medium bananas)
- 1¾ cups gluten free flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (or chopped walnuts, raisins), optional
- Pre-heat oven to 325F.Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil, honey, yogurt and vanilla for 2 minutes.Stir in the bananas, flour mixture and chocolate chips (or any other add ins of choice.
- Pour batter into greased pan, sprinkle with some more cinnamon, raw sugar, or banana slices (optional) Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.Cool for 10 minutes, slice and enjoy!